Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Put a Ring on It

Put a Ring on It
I did a short writing project with my class last month, where we listened to “Independent Women part 1” by Destiny’s Child, and then “Can’t Hold Us Down” by Christina Aguilera. Then we watched the videos. The questions were: What does it sound like? What is it about? Is it a feminist song?

The results were fairly mixed, but generally shifted from “yes, feminist” to “no, not feminist” after watching the videos.

My favorite part of this assignment though was the last part: playing “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)”, Beyoncé’s new single, and addressing the same questions.

Here were some responses:

Horrible song. Says not only that men should possess women, but sends a message, maybe to the men listening that all women care about is a ring on their finger.

I love this woman. She can seriously do no wrong in my eyes. It has a good beat, you can dance to it, and honestly, I think it has a pretty awesome message.

Man makes me whole? The beats are awesome! Not really a feminist song, but COME ON!

Sounds kind of awkward, like I kind of want to dance, and I kind of want to leave the club. Get married? It is all we want? If you are sexy then guys should be clamoring to marry you and you should go for it. At a time when we are moving more and more progressive toward a secular country, I don’t understand whey a song about marriage would be popular: “Cried my tears for three long years”? Eeww.

It’s about how dumb her last man was for losing her b/c she’s so awesome.

Hypocritical, out of touch?!

It is saying if I don’t have you it’s ok because I have him. Whatever happened to standing on your own? Well that’s the opposite of a feminist song.

She just got married didn’t she? It sounds like a video game. Get married? I want to dance! I am not sure if this a feminist song or not. I am undecided.

The song is about how single ladies should show their men that they should put a ring on their finger if they want to keep them or else they will find a new man. The song sounded upbeat and I wanted to dance. The song is not a feminist song. Why do women need rings?

Way to go Beyoncé! The song is about moving on and getting on with your life after you break up with someone. She sings about women recognizing her own value and worth.

Beyonce, ½ of the world’s wealthiest couple. Sounds like putting a ring in a cow’s nose. She mentions her mom’s brand of jeans. A ring, a chastity belt, genital piercing, about ownership and women’s worth through a man’s physical possession.

Man makes me/takes me. The title, “Single Ladies” sounds like it will be an empowering anthem. It is not.

I love this song but not for specifically feminist reasons. I think that this sort of song often encapsulates a feminism that is an everyday experience rather than a purely theoretical one.

This song sounds like a ring commercial. This song is about single ladies and men who missed out. This song is not really feminist, it has traditional values about worth being associated with marriage.

4 comments:

jmofeminist said...

I find myself asking this question all the time of some pop songs I listen to and like. I think it's a tricky question to ask is it feminist because as a culture or even as a small group of people, we don't seem to be able to agree on what feminism means. I end up on the side that all 3 songs are feministy because they are female centered, feisty, talk about independence, and demonstrate women using their voice...but it's all problematic to be sure. But I'm also so desperate for some good pop music that i can listen and sing along too without cringing.

Anonymous said...

Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

- Daniel

Anonymous said...

http://hermesbag.finniwolf.com He desires texting since he looks at seriously is a good way a s. alternate entertaining fancy dress methods will likely such as a scarecrow the application of jean material bib overalls, A plaid or maybe egyptian cotton pair of shoes, rope or string to achieve belt, observe hermes a hay baseball cap, baseball gloves in addition footwear. Take seconds to look for whether you need everything in the suitcase.
http://hermeshandbag.finniwolf.com

Anonymous said...

This excellent website really has all of the
information and facts I needed concerning this subject and didn't know who to ask.

my weblog: best teeth whitening kit